Monday 1 October 2012

The Slackers Ride Again! - Grizedale.

Fucking ages since we had a mid week slackers ride so when Toss suggested a Friday off, I readily agreed. JD also decided to join us and give his spunking new BEAST its first proper outing.

I originally planned a cheeky high level circuit of the Newlands Valley in the lake, but driving up the weather didnt look too clever so I suggest good old Grizedale, you cant go wrong there, but this time we would head over to Claife too.

So parked up at Satterthwaite after gorging ourselves on BSE form a greasy spoon. All kitted up we set off whereby I immediatly noticed that something was wrong. My brakes wouldnt work. They also squeeled horrifically. When I say wouldnt work, I mean the mearly just brushed off a little speed, rather than actually stop me. This happened at the Marin the other week, but as the ride went on they got more bite. So I Decided to persevere.

First climb up Breasty Haw was just as hard as I remembered it, we all made a good fist of it though, Toss aided by his commuting fitness flew up, me and JD slightly more sedately. At the top we had a breather before chucking ourselves down to the road. I fucking LOVE this descent, rocky, rooty and slippery. Unfortunately my brakes reminded me that they were not willing to help me stop at the most inappropriate moment, when, as I pulled the lever I was immediately rendered deaf (along with all the woodland creatures in a 2 mile radius) but still going at exactly the same speed... FUCK.

Got down most of it ok but stopped at the rocky stepdown and got some video footage of the lads doing it.


Looks fuck all from below, buts its a bit intimidating from above when wet. Quick regroup at the bottom all of us buzzing and JD announcing that he was in love with his new bike. We took the BW over to Devils Gallop and the horrible muddy climb. Toss Spotted a bull residing in the field here, big fucker too and he kind of panicked and made record time across the field. Me and JD were too fucked to be bothered. The run down Devils Gallop was ace as ever. At the bottom we were waiting for JD to come down and he looked well fucking twitchy on the bike. I suggested he might want to loosen up and bit and let the bike to the hard work. He was much better as the day wore on though.

Leisurly run over to Far Sawey and then the long climb up to Claife. I missed the left turn at the top but that resulted in us taking a crackingbit of rocky path to the top of Belle Grange drop, meaning we had to back track a little but it was well worth it. At the top of Claife there were some great views over towards Fairfield.
The Colthouse descent was great fun as ever although I couldnt remember there being that many gates on it. Talk about stop start. Along the road and into Hawkshead we took the long drag up to the NFT and on to Moor Top. JD was struggling a bit here, but fair play to the lad he stuck with it. I was in 2 minds to try and find the top of the new Black Run from Moor top but didnt really have a clue so as JD was getting  tired we just took the final decent of the NFT to the vc.

Here, once again I was fucking raped. £2.95 for a bastard slice of cake. JD faired worse, a bottle of Poweraid and a cold pastie that looked like Toss had just shit it out came to £6.50. The complete and utter robbing fucking CUNTS! what makes it worse is remembering what the old cafe used to be like here, run by a couple of old girls, you could get proper wholesome food for fuck all, replaced by these twats. I'd fucking love to burn the place down and get the old girls back.

I resisted tempation to ride the big kids playground structure (I'll do it one day!!) and we headed on up the NFT to Mustard Hill. The rest did JD good as he made reasonable progress up it. The last bit is a bit soul destroying but otherwise its a good way of getting altitude quickly.

View point on Parkamoor was stopped at and we pointed out the venue of the lads trip for next year to JD, then set off sharpish as it was blowing a hoolie. Brilliant fast descent to the hippie commune.

I told JD that the climb up was the last climb of the day, he didn't believe me, infact Toss and Myself could here him mumbling behind us, no doubt cursing us.

The track across Bethecar Moor was under shit loads of water which got us all wet feet but it was soon forgotten as we headed into the Moor lane Descent. Fucking brilliant this is, I love it. We breifly stopped to inspect Toss's Bane but then flew down the rest of it to the car. Cracking day out.


3 comments:

Toss said...

The vid - Eho Eho Eho! Oh Oh Oh Oh Ohhhhh! CLASSIC!
What a fantastic day out that was. I loved every sngle second of that day. It was awesome - in great company.
Crackin Blog mate. T

Toss said...

The vid - Eho Eho Eho! Oh Oh Oh Oh Ohhhhh! CLASSIC!
What a fantastic day out that was. I loved every sngle second of that day. It was awesome - in great company.
Crackin Blog mate. T

Donk said...

Good ride for wet days that. Not surprised JD was taking devils gallop easy that is on slippery downhill. Last couple of times I've turned left at top of mustard hill straight to the start of the moor lane descent, misses the hippie descent but also that steep climb and horrible moor crossing.